Bloody Hell Maria - Serves 6
• 1L Woolworths Tomato Cocktail Blend*
• 2 Tbsp Creamy horseradish
• Juice of 1 lime (about 2-3 Tbsp)
• 300ml Blanco
• 2 Chipotle chilies in adobo**
• Celery salt (optional)
*Woolies tomato cocktail blend already contains Worcestershire sauce, if you use another brand of tomato juice be sure to add in 2 Tbsp
** Chipotle chili in adobo can be found at Frankie Fenner Meat Merchants or any El Burro in Cape town. Live outside the mother city? Woolworths has a chipotle seasoning and Yuppiechef stocks a number of chipotle seasonings and sauces in their online shop. I suggest adding all of these swaps to taste prior to adding salt and finishing the mix. When in a real pinch, some finely minced red chili or sriracha to taste will do the trick too!
- Remove the chili from the spicy adobo sauce and chop very very finely.
- Mix the tomato juice blend, horseradish, and minced chipotle together. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Once ready to serve dip the rims of the glasses in water and into the celery salt (optional).
- Add the Blanco and lime to the tomato mix and add salt to taste. If you want more smokey chili heat add a few more minced chipotles and give the mix a good stir
- Fill your glasses with ice and serve.
Meaning “white” in Spanish, this one is smooth and smokey. It is an un-aged variant in the pride characterized by the smooth but distinctly smokey flavour and is the closest adaptation to an authentic Mezcal.